Maxim Integrated's low power MAXREFDES82# reference design quickly calculates force and center of mass.
San Jose, CA—May 23, 2016—Design engineers can now rapidly evaluate and deploy new human-machine interface (HMI) devices using the MAXREFDES82# smart force sensor reference design from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM).
Typical weigh scales provide one dimension of information, downward force. The MAXREFDES82# reference design provides both downward force and center of mass, by collecting responses from four load cells using the MAX11254, a 24-bit, 6-channel analog-to-digital converter (ADC). This unique configuration, enabled by the highly integrated 24-bit ADC, provides second and third dimensions of information about whatever object presses upon it.
- Fast: 64ksps provides real time operation
- Rugged: Interface requires no special glass or material, making it ideal for industrial environments
- High precision: Accurate measurements of weight and center of mass up to 780g
- Low power: Less than 50mA consumed during normal operation
"Maxim's smart force sensor reference design is a new concept, operating as both a weigh scale and 3D touch interface in rugged environments," said David Andeen, Director of Reference Designs at Maxim Integrated. "MAXREFDES82# has a unique combination of a multi-channel, high resolution ADC with integrated programmable gain amplifiers and low power consumption, giving our customers speed and flexibility when designing industrial systems."
Availability and Pricing
- The MAXREFDES82# reference design is available for $99 at Maxim's website and select franchised distributors. Hardware and firmware design files, as well as test data, are provided free and available online.
- For information on other reference designs, visit http://bit.ly/ReferenceDesigns.
About Maxim Integrated
Maxim is bringing new levels of analog integration to automotive, cloud data center, mobile consumer, and industrial applications. We're making technology smaller, smarter, and more energy efficient, so that our customers can meet the demands of an integrated world. Learn more ›.