Ideal for battery-powered applications, Maxim Integrated's tiny MAX77596 allows always-on operation.
San Jose, CA—April 11, 2016—Designers of USB Type-C™ small form factor devices can now create always-on rails with the ultra-low quiescent current MAX77596 buck converter from Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM).
Next-generation products that utilize the high data rates and increased power transfer capability of USB Type-C ports will require low-voltage supply rails to power necessary Type-C port controllers. Devices utilizing the Power Delivery (PD) voltage range (5V to 20V) can now generate an always-on (1.8V/3.3V/5.0V) digital supply rail for the controller using the MAX77596. Operating from a supply as low as 3.5V and as high as 24V, the MAX77596 step-down converter can regulate from traditional 5V USB power as well as the 20V upper-end of the PD range.
Portable gadgets—such as tablets, notebooks, cameras, and drones—can easily evolve to Type-C with PD using the flexible MAX77596 power supply. Previously, customers designing in a power supply for USB Type-C port controllers had to compromise on either input voltage range, quiescent current, or size. A two-chip solution would often be required—a low input voltage linear regulator in parallel with a higher input voltage switcher to cover the wide voltage range of the PD standard. The MAX77596 has a unique combination of wide input voltage range, low quiescent current, and compact TDFN package that results in reduced design time and smaller solution size compared to a two-chip solution.
The MAX77596 buck converter offers fixed 3.3V and 5V-output versions, and an adjustable version that allows users to program the output voltage between 1V and 10V with a resistor-divider. The converter can support up to 300mA DC loads. The MAX77596 is a robust IC with short-circuit and thermal protection, 6.67ms internal soft-start minimizes inrush current, proven current-mode control architecture, and up to 42V input voltage tolerance.
- Flexible power: Wide voltage in range from 3.5V to 24V
- Ultra-low quiescent current: 1.1μA permits always-on operation
- Small solution size: 2.0mm x 2.5mm x 0.75mm 10-pin TDFN package
- Excellent line transient response: 50mVpp output when changing from 5V to 20V and back
- "We have leveraged Maxim's strengths in power management and integration to bring one of the smallest wide input voltage buck converter to market. The MAX77596 simplifies the design process for customers because they can now use one chip instead of two," said Samay Kapoor, Senior Business Manager, Mobility Power at Maxim Integrated. "The MAX77596 also helps engineers minimize power consumption and extend battery life for the end application."
- "The proliferation of USB Type-C clearly marks the dawn of a great new era of connectivity for our devices," said Bob O'Donnell, President and Chief Analyst at TECHnalysis Research. "USB Type-C will lead to a wide variety of the most useful docking stations and port replicators we've ever seen, particularly for notebook PCs, tablets, and even smartphones."
Availability and Pricing
- Samples and evaluation kits are available for three versions of the MAX77596
- Operates across the -40-degree Celsius to +85-degree Celsius temperature range
- Pricing available upon request
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
About Maxim Integrated
Maxim is bringing new levels of analog integration to automotive, cloud data center, mobile consumer, and industrial applications. We're making technology smaller, smarter, and more energy efficient, so that our customers can meet the demands of an integrated world. Learn more at http://www.maximintegrated.com.